Contact Melissa at firstname.lastname@example.org for availability starting at $45/hour.
Services I offer include systematic, explicit instruction & intervention in the following areas:
- Sounds (Phonological & Phonemic Awareness)
- Learning and writing the alphabet
- Decoding (sounding out words)
- Reading sentences & paragraphs
- Handwriting (manuscript & cursive)
- Vocabulary & Comprehension
- Behavior incentive system if needed
- Complimentary school advocacy
- Training & Certifications:
- 2022 Approved TEA SSES Service Provider (Supplemental Special Education Services)
- Masters of Education, Literacy Instruction
- Orton Gillingham Associate Training
- Texas Certified Reading Specialist
- 23 Years of Teaching Experience
- Certified Texas educator in Early Childhood-grade 8 general education, EC-12 special education, and English as a Second Language.
Texas Certified Reading Specialist
Melissa is qualified to deliver dyslexia intervention and currently works as a reading intervention teacher, serving students in grades K-8. She is certified in the TEA approved dyslexia program, “Reading by Design” and has completed LETRS training. LETRS® (Language Essentials for Teachers of Reading and Spelling), developed by Dr. Louisa Moats and Dr. Carol Tolman, provides teachers with the skills they need to master the fundamentals of reading instruction—phonological awareness, phonics, fluency, vocabulary, comprehension, writing, and language.
Orton Gillingham Associate Training
In 2021, Melissa completed 60 hours of Orton Gillingham training with the Oregon Dyslexia Institute. Training includes in-depth knowledge in neurology, phonology, the structure of our English language, and Orton-Gillingham lessons. The ODI goal is, “To train teachers to understand and recognize dyslexia, learn the foundational skills in reading, and use a multi-sensory structured approach to teach literacy to children with dyslexia.”
Reference from a current client:
“Melissa not only understands reading difficulties and the best interventions for them, she truly cares. She took her time to get to know my daughter, and every time they meet, she takes time to catch up with what my daughter has going on besides school. My daughter loves her! Also, she was reading at a 3rd grade 2nd month level 8 months ago (she was going into 7th grade) and at her assessment this past Feb, she was reading at a 6th grade 1st month level!!!” -Parent of a student with dyslexia